Writing these blogs is hard for me because I am not a creative writer. I am not a creative writer if only for the fact that I do not consider myself to be a creative writer. I write. Obviously, I write. But I do not deem myself a creative writer and therefore no one else should suppose that I am one. If a man refers to himself as stupid it is the job of the listener to recognize that the man knows better than anyone else the level of his own intelligence. If he says he is stupid then it should be agreed upon that he is stupid, indeed, and we shouldn’t expect anything intelligent to come from him. There is the possibility that he is actually smart and just calls himself stupid. He might call himself stupid so that little will be expected of him, or in an effort to be more relatable to his stupid audience. He might call himself stupid because he is modest and simply uncomfortable with the idea of calling himself smart. Modesty is the best policy, at least that’s what some people believe. I am not comparing myself to the man who says he’s stupid. I don’t think I am stupid and I am not being sneaky or modest in saying that I am not a creative writer. I am just being honest, which is supposed to be a good policy as well. My point is that when a person considers themselves to be something (or to not be something) then that is what they are (or aren’t). This may be illogical; in fact I’m sure that it is. According to me, then, whenever a girl tells you she is not a creative writer you should assume she is not and when a man tells you he is stupid you should believe that he is. That seems an unreasonable way to go through life. What if a man, probably a different man but possibly the same one, tells you he is honest? Would you let him hold your money while you tie your shoe? Probably not. It is more likely you would get to know him and determine for yourself whether or not he is honest. What if the man is a priest, though? What if the priest tells you he’s a thief? Well, that would just be confusing. But my point is how much do we let others do the considering for us and to what extent should we trust our own ways of considering things over the considerations of others? Just because I didn’t consider myself a criminal doesn’t mean I didn’t deserve to be in jail. Just because I don’t consider myself a creative writer doesn’t mean I can’t or don’t write creatively. Hmm. Now I’m unsure of what to consider myself.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Considering Considerations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So you're not Paris Hilton, and we're all very glad about that. You don't like long novels, or abstract philosophical monologues about things you'd rather let just be. And you're not a creative writer. I like it--a negative definition. But aside from the egregious (if Jack Sparrow can use the word I can, though I suspect you won't like it) of repetition to get to the six hundred word limit, I think you're writing is pretty creative--and kind of entertaining, in a Holden Caufieldesque way.
Post a Comment